Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Country Barn Boutique

You know those fun little boutiques that go on every season? Those ones where you walk in and are completely overwhelmed by the shear amount of painted wood? Soaps? and knitted things? You all know you like to go peak inside those boutiques..
I must admit, i don't consider myself crafty at all~in fact at first in order to even operate the sewing machine, i needed my sister Alesas' constant supervision! But I've decided to test the waters of the boutique world. No I'm not Tying a bunch of sticks together and selling them.. or painting wood blocks..(that would've been easier though..) I decided to see how these Minky Burp Rags I've made for a couple of my friends' babies sold. They are extremely soft and i used some Darling fabric!
So i made a few dozen, rented a booth, and got all set up. Its been ALOT of work, and I'm glad I've done it..All i have to do now is see how they sell, and see if it was worth it. I'm kind of nervous about it.. maybe alittle self conscious too.. i don't know why. Maybe its because its something handmade, I'm SO new to the whole sewing thing, and the public will be looking at and buying them... ahhh.. But I'm glad i put myself out there and did it cause I've always just wanted to try. I seriously don't now how some of those ladies make so much stuff and do it every time! :)
The Country Barn Boutique (on Mutton Hollow in Kaysville/Layton) opens for a preview tonight. 4-8, and then 10-8 Thurs & Fri., and 10-5 on Sat. Wish me luck. :)
(And thank you to my Wonderful Mom and Sister Alesa for all your help!)



This is me setting up and laughing cause i made a funny face last minute in the last picture Alesa was trying to take. ha ha. I look like I'm lovingly admiring my burp rags. ha ha. gag.



This is my finished little wicker shelf. I was originally told I'd be getting a wicker basket, so I wasn't planning on having so much space, so I had to use most of the Rags I'd made to fill the shelves. So much for restocking. :)
You can click on this picture if you want to see the burp rags up close.

10 comments:

Alesa said...

Good Job J! You did awesome! I'm excited to see how well they are going to sell.

{amy k.} said...

That's exciting! Wish I was out there to come check the boutique out. Your booth looks super cute! And the burp cloths look soooo soft! Good luck!

Tina said...

Hey can I place an order on your blog for those cute burp cloths? I would buy two little boy cloths if you would like to mail them to me out here in Calif. I used to do boutiques all the time. Made hand painted pillows, fabric covered baskets and all kinds of different things. It was fun. Actually put on a few boutiques myself. My Mom would come down and help me set up everything so it looked really cute. Good times. Good luck and let me know if you want to mail me a couple.

neuroticmom said...

Oh darn! I wish I lived closer so I could drop by and see what you've made. Good luck!

neuroticmom said...

Oh darn! I wish I lived closer so I could drop by and see what you've made. Good luck!

Bethany said...

cute stuff!

So, do you need (want) maternity clothes. I know your sisters probably already hooked you up, but you can never have too much clothes to choose from. I have a bundle of shirts (some of which are cute and others of which are merely funtional) with your name on it. Let me know.

McCall said...

Those are darling! I'm so impressed

Anne said...

so cute! i'll need to order some for you for my sister-in-laws new baby!!! you've got skills girl!

mnhvance said...

If I lived there I would go and buy one. Oh, and if I had a baby that spit up all of the time I'd get one too. But - alas I live 2000 miles away and my youngest is 18 months old. They are SOOOO cute and well done. I hope you sell TONS!!!

Sweet Daisy said...

Those are way cute! Where did you find such cute minky fabric? All I've seen around here at Hancock's and Joann's is just the plain dot fabric, not ones with designs on them. Let me know please...